RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT
What’s up Badgers, My name is Alston Mahendran, a 5th year Business Economics student. Fun fact I was mentioned in the new Drake song “God’s Plan”…. lol just kidding! This year I am running to be your BUSU President. The reason for this is to enhance the student experience at Brock University. I have been positively affected my five years as being a student and now it’s time to give back to the students and enrichen their day to day lives.
“My name is Alston Mahendran, a Business Economics student in my final year. Fun fact about me: I was mentioned in the new Drake song “God’s Plan”… just kidding! This year I am running to be your next BUSU President. The reason for this is to enhance the student experience at Brock University.”
- To the best of your understanding, what is the role and responsibilities of the President?
“My best understanding of the President’s role is to fulfill the direction of the Students’ Union and help the Vice Presidents meet their mandate. Also, being a spokesperson for BUSU is another very important task. The responsibilities associated with this position are to act as the CEO of the Students Union and to perform all other duties that fall under the portfolio.”
- Why have you decided to run for the position of President?
“The reason I decided to run for BUSU President is because I gained a lot of knowledge and first-hand experience working as the Presidential assistance for two years alongside Patrick Foster and Faisal Hejazi.”
- Why do you believe you should be elected President?
“The reason I should be elected is because I not only have the experience but I also observe what goes on in that office behind closed doors. I should be elected as well since I provide students with value and incentives that student unions should address.”
- If you needed to summarize your platform into three main issues at Brock that you believe need to be addressed, what would they be? How do you plan to address these issues?
“Three main issues:
- A place to study during exam periods
- Affordable food on campus
How would I plan to address this?
- Introduce a 24-hour library service during exam times and not make it difficult for students to find a place to study on campus.
- Affordable food at General Brock: To stop out-sourcing food to third parties and make them at the student union so they are freshly made
- Fix a transit issue by implementing more convenient times for certain routes as well as more bus stops in certain locations.”
- If elected what would you do differently from past President’s?
“If elected as President I would put students first and make sure they are able to gain the most out of the Students’ Union.”