If you bought the Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone, now might be the time to consider getting an early upgrade; The phones reportedly have a battery flaw that causes them to explode. News of 35 separate incidents involving overheating batteries prompted a massive recall and a blast of confusion. The Samsung Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 Edge have not been included in the recall.
Airlines all around the world are banning the use of the smartphone on their flights. Three airlines in Australia, all airlines operating out of the United Arab Emirates, all American Airlines and Air Canada are among the airlines no longer allowing passengers to store the phone in their luggage, use or charge the phones during the flight.
Furthermore, a Samsung Galaxy Note7 is being blamed for a car fire in Port St. Luci, Florida. Several media outlets in the U.S. are reporting that the car’s owner, a user of the Note, says they were charging their phone when the car caught fire. However, investigators have yet to determine the exact cause of the blaze.
In Brooklyn, New York, a six year old boy has suffered burns as a result of a Samsung Galaxy smartphone. The young boy was using the phone to watch videos when it exploded in his hands, burning his body, reported the New York Post. The boy has since been released from the hospital. CBS later reported that the phone involved was not the Galaxy Note7, and may have been a much older model, the Galaxy Core, which was not involved in the recall and has no previously confirmed battery issues.
“We take every report very seriously and have contacted the Lewis family to learn more about their situation,” a spokesman for Samsung said in a statement about the incident. “As we are currently looking into this case, we are unable to comment further right now.”
The phones are now linked to 92 incidents of battery fires or explosions in the United States alone, causing at least one lawsuit to be filed against the company The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission said the cases include 26 incidents in which burns were reported and 55 reports including property damage.
In a video statement, Samsung Electronics America President and COO Tim Baxter apologized to the public, and said, “At Samsung, our highest priority is our customers. Their aspirations, their needs, their safety and with the battery cell defects we did not meet the standard of excellence that you expect and deserve. For that we apologize, especially to those of you that were personally affected by this.”
According to Baxter, the company has been working with the CPSC to ensure that all phones will be properly recalled and replaced.
“To be clear, the Note7 with the new battery is safe,” said Baxter. “The battery cell issue has been resolved.” The safety of the new batteries, Baxter says, have been confirmed by a third party expert in lithium ion battery technology.
Baxter called for anyone who has not yet replaced their phone to turn it off immediately and return it. New Note7 replacement devices will be available in the United States at most retail locations no later than September 21.