SPMA students continue tradition with seventh annual Brendan Ford Run for Success

Seven years ago, Brendan Ford, a young student at York University, suddenly passed away at the age of 20 from cardiac arrest. In response, his brother Damien Ford, who was currently enrolled in the Sports Management program at Brock, organized a charity run called the Brendan Ford Run for Success, in order to create scholarship that would benefit local students in financial need, as well as raising funds for the Heart and Stroke Foundation Canada.

Since then, the organization of the run has become a tradition for the Sports Management program, and a group of students each year are tasked with the planning and operation of the event. This year, seven students from the SPMA 3P02 Placement Class, are in charge of the event, including Breanne Lecomte and Ashley Bisson.

As part of the course, students could choose a variety of initiatives or placements, but Lecomte and Bisson chose to do work with the Brendan Ford Run for Success because of the importance the run has in the Sports Management community.

“It’s a very well-known event and it’s nice to continue the tradition,” said Lecomte.

“I chose to get involved because of the community involvement aspect,” said Bisson. “As well, it raises money for a good cause.”

The run will take place in the Glenridge Quarry Naturalization Site just behind the Quarry View Residence. Participants can either do a 5-km run or a 10-km walk. There will also be a post-run lunch as well as a raffle at Cat’s Caboose once the run is finished.

The minimum registration fee is $20. 75 per cent of those proceeds will go directly into the Brendan Ford Memorial Scholarship which is awarded to students in the Niagara region with a strong social justice involvement in the community as well as financial need. The other 25 per cent are donated to the Heart and Stroke Foundation Canada to help fund future research.

For more information, or to register, go to bfrs.info. The run will take place on Apr. 2 starting at 10:00 a.m.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>