The Brock Press is truly a Badger tradition, being established at the time the University was founded 50 years ago. Over the summer, we commissioned Stephen Chartrand, our External News Editor to catalogue and create a database of the article topics, themes and writers throughout 50 years of issues.
Here are some of the most important events spanning The Brock Press’ and Brock University’s long history which resulted in the campus which you attend today. The following is what happened at this time of the year throughout time. Most interestingly, you’ll find that we’re still talking about a lot of these subjects today — topics and debates from decades ago are present even in this very edition.
Enjoy reading, and thank you for helping to carry forward the tradition of The Brock Press for years to come.
One year ago: Oct. 22, 2013
- Brock Professor, Adam Dickinson nominated for a Governor General’s Award for his book of poetry, The Polymers
- Controversy surrounding the release of Grand Theft Auto V for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 for being too violent, and too realistic
- Federal government creates a National Blacklist of cell phones in order to inhibit rampant cell phone theft.
Five years ago: Oct. 20, 2009
- Ontario bans cellphone use while operating a motor vehicle
- Local spotlight on the band, My Son the Hurricane
- Feature story about recent renovations to Howell’s Pumpkin farm
10 years ago: Oct. 19, 2004
- Brock scores its highest grade so far on the Globe and Mail University Report Card
- Brock Men’s Rugby make playoffs, Women’s soccer at top of league standings
- Editorial: if you want to end grow houses and grow-ops, legalize weed
19 years ago: Oct. 19, 1995
- Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA) seeks Brock students’ approval to increase membership fees
- The Niagara Falls City council approves zoning permission in order to build the Fallsview Casino.
- Canadian troops to return from Bosnia after Balkan conflict
- Brock promotes the newly formed Brock University Film Society
30 years ago: Oct. 24, 1984
- Course evaluations are delayed, controversy ensues
- BUSAC finds it difficult to meet quorum
- Alphie’s Trough promotes itself to Brock University alumni (which even 30 years later, most people don’t know exist… sigh)
- The opening of the Alumni Greenhouse
40 years ago: Oct. 24, 1974
- Controversy surrounding unfairness in treatment to female faculty members
- Sorting out the confusion about the health services available to students
- Celebration of the Niagara Grape and Wine Festival in St. Catharines
50 years ago: 1964
- Student protests in St. Catharines lead to violent riot
- One of the first student elections held: BUSA, BUSU and Student Union positions up for election
- Students discuss how racial and ethnographic backgrounds are irrelevant in considering an individual’s personal character and quality in an editorial