Description: The A&E editor is responsible for the content and appearance of the arts section. With the help of an assistant, he/she must assign and edit five to 10 stories per issue, and train and manage staff writers and volunteers. All work must be completed according to the Press’ publication deadlines. The position requires a current Brock student. Basic word-processing skills a must, and previous Quark XPress or PhotoShop experience is an asset. Past writing and/or editing experience would be beneficial. The successful applicant should be reliable, energetic, possess good judgment and the ability to communicate well.The applicant should have or be prepared to develop:
• excellent writing, editing and proofreading abilities, as well as ‘news judgment,’
• an understanding of what makes a solid story and a balanced section
• a basic understanding of the principles of newspaper design, as well as basic skills in Quark and PhotoShop
• the ability to manage and train writers, as well as maintaining contacts in the entertainment industry.
• participate in editorial board decisions regarding story decisions, editorial priorities and direction, and financial, hiring, and management decisions.
Remuneration: This position is paid an honourarium of $140 per issue.
Deadline: applications, including a resume and cover letter, should be sent to Anya Spethmann, editor-in-chief, no later than Sept. 19